Whole Wheat Pasta Dough

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Last year for my birthday my mom got me the pasta attachments for my kitchen aid mixer. Then for Christmas, my dad and step mom got me a lesson with their neighbor on how to make homemade ravioli with homemade pasta dough.



 Those were amazing and ever since then I've tried a few times to make pasta again. Mostly it has turned out tough or too thick and more like a dumpling but I found a good recipe that was soooo close to the right thickness this time! Pasta has to be really thin!!!



INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
1 cup white flour

1. In one bowl mix the two flours.

2. In a second bowl mix the eggs and water with a fork or whisk.

3. Create a well in the flour and pour in the wet mix. Using your hands, slowly mix the eggs into the flour and create a loose dough ball.


4. Turn out the dough ball and kneed until smooth. DO NOT OVER KNEED!


At this point, it's up to you. Roll it into sheets for ravioli, cut it with a knife, through a machine, pinch some bow ties... endless.



I made some fettuccine. The dough is sticky of course so I had some boiling water ready to go.


I improvised when drying the pasta. :)


Then of course we topped it with my BF's signature pasta: olive oil, mushrooms, garlic, cherry tomatoes, yellow peppers and secret seasoning!



 My pasta was still a bit thick but it was cooked perfectly and the taste was great. Just a notch thinner next time... and there will be a next time!


I just love that as much food as possible is homemade and good for me. I know what is in this dish. And when I can it's from my own garden or organic or local even. It's not easy. No way. But it is delicious! 


And on a side note, drying pasta on a chair is a bad idea. the thick bend in the pasta was going to make it hard to put in a bag so I gently bent it and let it dry on the table. Some stuck together but it still cooks up great.

Man I love pasta!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any Excuse to Eat! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino