INGREDIENTS (for two people)
4 corn tortillas (6")
Shredded or sliced cheese (I had both pepper jack and cheddar)
1 can of black beans
2 Roma tomoatos
2 cups chopped lettuce
1/2 packet taco seasoning
Any other mexican toppings such as: sour cream, guacamole, black olives, taco sauce, onion, jalapeno slices etc.
1. First, bring a pot of oil (I used about 1/2 quart of veg) to about 375 degrees F. Use a thermometer or test oil with a small piece of the tortilla. It should bubble gently when put in the oil.
2. Cut tortillas in half. Fry in oil, about two minutes on each side or until the tortilla is firm to the touch with the spoon. Place on a baking sheet. Meanwhile, preheat your broiler!!
3. Drain and rinse black beans. Heat in a sauce pan with taco seasoning. (Here is where I wish I would have planned this out... I would have loved to fry up a diced onion, some diced green peppers and garlic with the beans. So much for a sudden mad craving! Next time!!)
4. Spoon black beans onto the fried tortillas and place cheese on top.
5. Put under the broiler for about 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.6. Serve and add any toppings you can think of!!
I ate my two and was ready to fight my BF for the rest. Next time I'm making three per person and adding onion, peppers, and black olives!!!