Happy 4th everyone! I hope you all had a safe and fun holiday!!
So, I really wanted to share these cookies I made... I found the recipe at The Cooking Photographer. I used my own sugar cookie recipe but kept most else the same.
The best part of these cookies is that the red and blue are flavored! I think I will call them... Very Berry Sugar Cookies!!!
1 batch of cookie dough (chilled at least three hours if not overnight)
1 tablespoon cherry jello mix
1 tablespoon berry blue jello mix
Red food coloring
Blue food coloring
1. First, separate the cookie dough into three equal sized portions.
2. With one portion, add red food coloring (quite a bit... I added three drops concentrated gel and I wish I would have added a bit more!) as well as the cherry jello mix. Knead until the color is smooth through the dough. Set aside.
3. With the second portion, add the very berry jello mix and blue food coloring. Knead well and set aside.
4. Next, separate each dough ball into two... so now you have six balls of dough.
5. Now comes the fun part. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Press one dough color into the pan at a time. Layer so that you have six lines in the dough.
6. Freeze for at least a few hours. I froze mine overnight. Then pop out of the pan and slice like a loaf of bread. Slice each slice in half and place on a baking sheet.
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the cookies for 9-12 minutes. My first few batches took about a minute or two longer than the last batches because they were more frozen than the last few.
My BF loved these cookies. He took some to work but I'm not sure if he shared!
Enjoy and happy 4th!!