I found this recipe on a couple different sites and it seemed like such a cool looking alternative to a cinnamon roll. If this doesn't make you hungry for breakfast I don't know what will!
2 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces butter
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 ounces butter, melted
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs and set aside.
3. In a sauce pan, melt together the milk and butter. Remove from heat and stir in the water and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the milk mix into the dry ingredients. Mix. Then add the eggs and stir. Mix until the dough comes together. It should be sticky.
5. In a greased bowl, set the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Leave for about one hour.
6. Remove the dough and let rest for half an hour.
7. Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and melt your butter for the filling.
8. Here is where it gets fun. Roll out the dough 20"x12". Or close to.
9. Brush the dough with the melted butter then sprinkle all the sugar mix over the dough. It seems like a lot but do it anyway. Trust me.
10. Slice the dough into 6 strips 12 inches long. If you're looking at the picture above, it was six strips cut from bottom to top with a pizza cutter. Stack the slices.
11. Cut the dough into six pieces again.
12. Stack the dough squares on top of each other and place in a bread pan.
13. Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until the top starts to brown.
This was a fun recipe to make and even more fun to eat. You peel the pieces apart from the end and in between each layer is lots of sugar and cinnamon stuck to the soft inside of the dough.