This is my new favorite way to eat chicken! The crunch of the crust was the BEST! and the cheese sauce... well come on! Cheese Sauce?! Of course it's going to be great! It's CHEESE SAUCE!
Anywho, this recipe is adapted from Rachel Ray 365: No Repeats, recipe 267 if you have the book!
4 Thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts
2-3 Cups crush pretzels (any kind works. I used some left over pretzel twists)
1 Tbsp thyme
Vegetable oil for frying
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 Cups milk
2 Cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1/4 Cup parsley
1. First, whisk eggs in a bowl and set aside. Crush pretzels in a food processor (or a zip bag and a rolling pin!), put in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat a skillet with the oil to medium/high.
3. Coat chicken breast in pretzels, then egg, then pretzels again. Put in frying pan and cook about 4-5 minutes each side.
4. Meanwhile, melt butter in a sauce pan. Once melted, add in flour and whisk well for about 1 minute.
5. Add milk and heat until it begins to bubble.
6. Add in cheeses, mustard and parsley. Whisk until melted together. YUM!
7. Remove chicken from skillet once done, plate and drizzle (or drown) with CHEESE SAUCE!
I made some seasoned redskin potatoes with this and coated them with some cheese sauce as well. Sooo good. The chicken is lightly salty and the cheese is tangy and delicious!
I had extra cheese sauce and used it with soft pretzels the following day. YUM!