Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!

Thursday, September 30, 2010





So for my dad's **th bday he requested some red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Now for his **th bday, I wanted it to be special so I pulled out my Martha book!!!


I had to modify both recipes because, well, I'm picky... and I forgot an ingredient... but the cupcakes were the best I've made thus far!!

Red Velvet Cupcakes

INGREDIENTS (makes 12 cupcakes)

1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon red gel food coloring
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk* (I had to make my own. 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, let sit five minutes.)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar





1. Preheat oven to 350 F. In an electric mixer whisk together sugar and oil. Add egg, food coloring and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed.

2. Reduce speed and gradually add in the salt, cocoa and flour (mix together in a bowl first). Add buttermilk half way through the dry mix and then the rest at the end.



3. Stir together, in a separate bowl, vinegar and baking soda until it foams. Add to batter and mix for 10 seconds.

4. In a cupcake pan, put in cup liners then fill 3/4 with batter.



5. Bake for 20 minutes.

6. Let cool. :)




Cream Cheese Frosting

INGREDIENTS (you will have extra)

1 cup butter, room temp
12 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 pound powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract



1. With a mixer, cream together cream cheese and butter until fluffy.

2. Reduce speed and slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix until smooth, scraping down sides as you go.

3. Put in on a freakin cupcake!!!


And watch them be devoured!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any Excuse to Eat! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino