Lemon Waffles

Monday, March 7, 2011


Lemon waffles... doesn't that just sound light and fresh for the morning?! I loved these. Not as easy as a box mix but definitely worth it! 


INGREDIENTS

1 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
juice of two lemons
3 eggs, separated

1. In one bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Set aside. 

2. In a second bowl combine buttermilk and lemon juice well. Whisk in three egg yolks. 



3. In a mixer, whisk three egg whites until stiff peaks form. 


4. Mix the buttermilk mixture and flour mixture until there are no clumps. 


5. Gently fold in the egg whites. Do not over mix. You will see streaks of white in the batter. 


6. My machine uses 1/2 batter for each waffle. I made about 8 waffles. Use a hot iron, greased, and a warming plate in the oven to keep them warm. 



I have to say, these were light and crispy and didn't weigh me down. They would be perfect with some berry syurp!!! I'll have to find a recipe! 

Also, we had some left over. I wrapped them individually and put them in a zip lock bag to freeze. They toast up in the toaster very nicely. Just in case you don't need 8 full size waffles! 

Enjoy! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any Excuse to Eat! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino