Freezing

Wednesday, August 25, 2010


Check out these awesome green beans and blueberries! I definitely can't eat all this before it starts to go bad so... my mom brought by a freezing book from back in the day. ( I felt like I should be wearing a dress, heels and apron when I read it!!) 

For the green beans I par cooked them for about three minutes in boiling water then drained them and put them in a bowl of ice water. 


Drain on a kitchen towel then spread out on a baking sheet and put in the freezer. Once frozen, or close to, bag and put back in the freezer. Freezing them on a baking sheet makes it so much easier to grab the amount you need for the dish you're making and go. 



For the blueberries, and bananas I forgot to take pics of, I spread them out on a baking sheet and froze them the same way as the beans. For the bananas I sliced them into three pieces and plan to use them with some peanut butter and milk for some awesome breakfast smoothies!!

I love that I'm learning to can and freeze and save fresh food that I got straight from the farmer who grew them. It feels good to know you're food, even if frozen, is fresh and in some ways, made by you. 

PS. That sauce from the last post was an awesome star in last night's dinner! Post soon to come!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any Excuse to Eat! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino