Caramel Filled Cupcake

Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Now doesn't that just look delish?!

It took two days to make... seriously. But it was worth it. My boss loves caramel so for his birthday I figured I'd bring in some cupcakes... caramel filled cupcakes! And even though they took two days to complete, they are quite simple!!

First the...

Caramel Filling:
INGREDIENTS

1 can of sweetened condensed milk
4 TBSP butter

1. First, boil a pot of water. Once boiling, lower the temp to simmer and submerge the whole can of condensed milk in the pot of simmering water. Make sure there is at least 2 inches of water over the top of the can. Put a lid on the pot and simmer for 3-5 hours. I did three, wish I had done 5 (assuming it would have thickened it a bit)


2. Once done, take the can out of the pot and allow to cool overnight.

3. Open can and mix with melted butter. Whisk well.


This was awesome and would make a great ice cream topping!!


For the cupcakes, I did a semi-homemade thing... they're from a box. Just follow directions! :)


Then I use a small round cookie cutter to hollow out my cupcakes. Just press in, flip onto it's side and pull out!

Like so!


Once all the cupcakes are hollowed out, fill with your caramel almost to the top.


Then I pull a bit of the cupcake off the top (thin it a bit) and place the rest of the top back on the cupcake. At this point I put them in the fridge to set the cake and caramel a bit.


My favorite topping for cupcakes lately is this... Spred N Gloss. I find it at my local baking supply shop and it is delish! It's like a ganache but stays soft like the top of a hostess cupcake.


You just microwave it for 30 sec or until runny and then tip the cupcake in it, let the excess drip off and cover with sprinkles or let dry by itself!


Now the only thing I would have done differently is boil the can of sweetened condensed milk the full five hours. I ate a cupcake and realized the caramel had seeped into the cupcake more that I would have liked. Maybe if it were boiled longer it would be thicker and would have stayed in the center of the cupcake!

Either way, they were a hit and super delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Any Excuse to Eat! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino